Thursday, November 10, 2011

An Odd Walk

Unfortunately, today's walk ended up being a bit shorter than the map shows.  Though I did walk the indicated streets North of 23rd St. SW, I was only able to swing South of 23rd St. SW along Adams to 25th St.  I then walked north on Jefferson.  I intend to come back and walk the South streets on another day.

In this neighborhood, I mostly noticed mailboxes.  I didn't take pictures because it felt a little bit too personal (addresses and names).  One mailbox was completely covered with black plastic and duct tape.  I thought that was very odd.  Assuming no one lived there to receive mail, why would the box need to be covered?  If someone does live there, how does he or she get mail?  Why not remove the mailbox entirely, instead of wrapping it up in black plastic?  I have to admit that this oddity really captured my imagination for most of the walk.

I also saw a galvanized metal mail box,  a mail box which had been painted black and had purple wooden cutouts attached to it,  and a mailbox which had been inserted into a plastic structure similar to this one:
I don't know why this neighborhood has such distinct mailboxes, but they definitely stood out.  I also noticed a very cool shutter and railing design at this home.  
The reflection of curly-cue metalwork in both the rails and the window treatments is very unique.  Though the houses along these streets were not flashy, and the neighborhood was very quiet, it is placed in a central part of Mason City.  It is tucked behind the Federal Street McDonald's and a water tower.  I am always intrigued by the mixture of commercial/industrial and residential buildings in established neighborhoods.  New developments rarely mix these elements.





View Prayer Walk 18 in a larger map

No comments:

Post a Comment