Monday, July 11, 2011

First Steps

Today, I headed toward 4th Street SW, and walked along its sidewalkless verge until I reached Winnebago Way.  Winnebago Way, also without sidewalds, was a very busy street, and I found myself worrying more about whether I should walk on people's lawns or risk the oncoming rush of the Scwann's trucks, than I was focussed on praying for the neighborhoods.  
Flowers along Winnebago Way


Is this a muskrat?
I walked around Lake Cona Toma.  Apparently, gravelly soils along Willow and Chelsea Creeks led to the extraction of limestone and clay here in Mason City.  Those pits are now full of water, and so there are quite a few lakes in the area.  I was unable to discover whether Lake Cona Toma is one of these lakes, or was formed in some other way.




Lakeview Drive curls around Lake Cona Toma.  I was struck by the size and beauty of many of the homes along this street.  I also paid close attention to the kinds of landscaping and decorating the homes displayed.  There were some homes with blooming baskets of geraniums hanging,  and some with raised flowerbeds and professionally designed plant arrangements.  

Though most homes were in very good repair, some looked a little bit shabby, with weeds in the driveways and paint peeling.  In this neighborhood, I had a sense of emptiness, as though the homes were uninhabited, or perhaps an idea that these people did not necessarily know their next door neighbors by name.  

I found myself praying for connection for the residents of this neighborhood.  I asked that Christ's light shine on the residents of these homes and that God's peace would rest here.  My comfort level increased as I walked South on the Eastern leg of Lakeview Dr.  The size of homes and lots became more familiar, and homes seemed more "lived in."  

I finished the walk by crossing the park behind my house, and nodding hello to the Alliant Energy workers and a neighbor.  I invited God's blessing on them, especially praying for safety and success while the workers buried some sort of utility cable.


View Prayer Walk 1 in a larger map

No comments:

Post a Comment